Under Canvas began in 2012 with a camp in West Yellowstone, dedicated to connecting guests with the outdoors and to each other through experiences in nature. It has since grown to include nine upscale glamping locations and customized pop-up glamping experiences. A leader in upscale, outdoor hospitality, Under Canvas has claimed awards from the likes of Condé Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure as the best resorts in the US and indeed, the world.
Our inherently spatially distanced, safari-inspired tents include amenities such as daily housekeeping and fresh towels, plush king-size beds, plush linens, en suite bathrooms, hot running water and even a wood burning stove for chilly nights. Expansive main lobby tents and adjoining patios adorned in West Elm furnishings inside and out provide a communal space to enjoy meals from our café style kitchens, reading, connecting with friends and family, learning about the best local adventures and an opportunity to purchase retail items to enhance guests’ stays. Complimentary programming ranging from yoga classes and crafts to acoustic live music and outdoor games means the fun doesn’t end when the national park adventures do. Kids and adults alike delight over evening s’mores around the communal campfire as they share their stories of their day’s adventure. Guests wake to sounds of nature, perfectly positioned to explore America’s most iconic national parks and monuments.
Recognized as the “perfect glamping experience” by Vogue, Under Canvas operates locations in Yellowstone and Glacier in Montana; Moab, Zion and Lake Powell-Grand Staircase in Utah; Mount Rushmore in South Dakota; Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee; Grand Canyon in Arizona and Acadia in Maine.
We believe that nature is the best architect, family and friends are the best entertainment, and that a piece of every soul is hidden somewhere…outside.
To inspire connections with extraordinary places, people and the planet by enhancing access to the outdoors.
- being outdoors inspires and connects friends, families and loved ones.
- unique experiences enrich lives and strengthen relationships.
- nature fosters environmental consciousness.
- nature is the best architect.
- experiencing the outdoors doesn’t mean roughing it.
- in being #OutsideTogether
A Mindful Approach
By staying at Under Canvas, you take part in our mission to inspire connections with extraordinary places, people, and the planet by enhancing access to the outdoors.
Connection with nature makes us healthier, happier ambassadors of the environment; our most precious commodity. This manifests in the design choices we make and the experiences we curate for our guests. Here are some of the ways we uphold our mission.
- Pioneering the outdoor hospitality space, we employ thoughtful enhancements across our camps designed to elevate the guest experience — through curated adventure programming, culinary innovation, and localized design aesthetic that reflects the surrounding natural environment.
UNPLUG AND RECHARGE
- Wifi is intentionally not offered to our guests, so that they can disconnect from technology and reconnect with others.
- Guests will notice some design features throughout camp that go a long way towards preserving the great outdoors — pull chain showers, faucets that automatically shut off, low-flow toilets and a towel reuse program. Accordingly, our camps use significantly less water and energy than a hotel of similar size. Additionally, low level lighting is used throughout camps, mitigating light pollution and amplifying the night sky.
- Under Canvas camps are designed to minimize disturbance and maximize open space, each with dedicated, undisturbed green spaces. Land donations, adaptive use, and partnerships with local conservation based organizations are also part of our commitment.
IN GOOD COMPANY
- We partner with brands who share the same care for our planet, including plant-based EO®️ bath products made in a zero waste facility, West Elm furnishings that support sustainable initiatives, and lululemon, who has committed to 100% renewable electricity for their owned and operated facilities by 2021.